Ground Lemongrass Chicken (Larb)
- 1 lb (450 g) ground chicken (see note)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red bird’s eye chili peppers
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 piece lemongrass, about 2 inches (5 cm) long, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mint, finely chopped
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chicken in the oil, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, chili peppers, lime leaves, lemongrass, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice. Turn the heat to high and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove the chili peppers and lime leaves.
- Divide among four bowls and garnish with the green onions, cilantro and mint. Serve with lime wedges and rice, if desired.
This recipe is also delicious with ground or minced turkey, pork, beef or duck.