Pressure Cooker Hot and Sour Tofu Soup
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) beef broth
- 1 block (1 lb/450 g) semi-firm tofu, patted dry and cubed
- 1 can (199 ml) sliced bamboo shoots or 1 can (227 ml) sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 oz (14 g) dried shiitakes mushrooms, chopped, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sambal oelek (see note)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup (10 g) chives, finely chopped
- In the pressure cooker, combine the cornstarch and beef broth. Add the tofu, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, vinegar, sambal oelek and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and select the Soup function.
- Let the pressure release and remove the lid. Select the Sauté function. Pour the eggs over the hot soup. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes without stirring. Serve the soup in bowls, garnished with the chives.
For a less spicy soup, reduce the sambal oelek to 1 tsp (5 ml).