- 15 MIN
- 1 H
- 11 cups (2.75 litres) chicken broth and 5 cups (1.25 litres) cooked chicken
Pressure Cooker Whole Poached Chicken and Chicken Broth
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove
- 1 chicken, about 3 ½ lb (1.6 kg)
- ½ tsp peppercorns
- 9 cups (2.25 litres) water (see note)
- Place all of the ingredients in the pressure cooker. Season with salt. Cover and select the Poultry function. Set the machine to cook for 30 minutes.
- Let the pressure release and remove the lid. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool before deboning. Strain the chicken broth through a sieve and discard the vegetables and spices. The broth will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days or in the freezer for 6 months. Use in soups, risotto or sauces. Use the cooked chicken in salads, sandwiches, rice, pasta, quesadillas or soups.
Add just enough water to reach the line on the inside of the pressure cooker that indicates maximum capacity.