Black Beans and Rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) parboiled long-grain rice
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) chicken broth
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- Select the pilaf mode on the rice cooker. Preheat for 3 minutes (see note).
- In the rice cooker bowl, soften the onion, garlic and jalapeño in the oil. Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes or until it is translucent. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds, stirring all the while. Add the broth and black beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, for about 45 minutes. The rice will be ready when the rice cooker switches to warm mode. Garnish with the cilantro, if desired.
If you do not have a rice cooker, you can make this dish in a pot on the stovetop. Cook over low heat in a covered pot until the rice is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid, about 25 minutes.
If desired, after cooking the rice, you can add 1 1/2 cups (225 g) of corn (either freshly cobbed or thawed from frozen). Mix to warm the corn.