Tuna and Pineapple Poke Bowl
- 1 ½ cups (325 g) Calrose rice (sushi rice)
- 1 ¾ cups (430 ml) water
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mirin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) soy sauce
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Sriracha
- ¾ lb (340 g) very fresh tuna, diced
- ½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Sriracha
- 1 ¼ cup (180 g) pineapple, diced
- 2 cups (170 g) green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (35 g) roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, sliced
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Thai basil leaves, to taste
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain well.
- In a pot, bring the rice, water and salt to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until the water has been completely absorbed by the rice. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes (see note).
- Drizzle with the rice vinegar and mirin, stirring to coat the rice. Spread the rice out on a baking sheet, stirring gently. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir to coat the fish. Let marinate for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In another bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth.
- Divide the rice among four bowls. Garnish with the tuna, pineapple, cabbage, cashews, cucumber, chili pepper and basil. Serve with the sauce.
The rice can also be prepared in a rice cooker following the manufacturer’s instructions.