Whole Grilled Salmon Fillet
- 1 3-lb (1.4 kg) salmon fillet with the skin on, 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) thick
- 1 1/2 tbsp basic dry rub (see recipe)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- Preheat half of the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the side of the grill that is off.
- Place the salmon on a large plate. Rub the flesh of the salmon with the dry rub. Oil the skin.
- Place the salmon skin side down on the side of the grill that is off. Close the lid and cook for 18 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through, maintaining a grill temperature of 400°F (200°C). Serve with grilled romaine hearts (see note) and tomato-based barbecue sauce (see recipe).
To grill romaine hearts, cut them in half lengthwise, lightly oil and season them with salt and pepper, and grill 1-2 minutes per side.