Family-Style Appetizer Platter
- 3 red pearl onions, thinly sliced into rounds (or 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 can (3.5 oz/100 g) olive oil-packed sardines (see note)
- 1 jar (6 oz/170 ml) oil-packed artichokes, drained
- 1 jar (250 ml) roasted peppers, cut into large strips
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp small parsley leaves
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Fleur de sel, to taste
- Olive oil, to taste
- Toasted bread
- In a small bowl, combine the onions, salt, sugar and lemon juice. Let marinate for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, on a serving platter, arrange the sardines, artichokes and roasted peppers.
- Top with the onion mixture, pomegranate seeds, parsley and lemon zest. Season with fleur de sel and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with toasted bread.
The number of sardines per can varies from one brand to another, but is often indicated on the packaging. For this recipe, you will need 12 large sardines separated into 2 fillets or 24 small, whole sardines.