- In a bowl, combine the juniper berries and the peppercorns.
- Place the water, sugar, salt, bay leaves and half the spices in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Remove from the heat and let cool. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 3 hours.
- On a cutting board and using a knife, cut the skin and most of the fat off the breasts, leaving a thin 1/2-cm (1/4-inch) layer of fat. Place the breasts in an airtight container. Cover with brine. Seal and refrigerate for 48 hours.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F). Set a wire rack in a small roasting pan or on a baking sheet.
- Remove the breasts from the brine and rinse well under cold running water. Pat dry. Press the remaining spices into both sides of each breast. Place on the wire rack, fat side up. Roast for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 1 hour at room temperature. Wrap each breast tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 4 to 5 days to allow the meat to relax and the flavours to develop.
- Slice thinly and use in Duck Pastrami Salad