Vegetarian Chili with Edamame
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut into large dice
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 ml each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) no-salt-added red beans, rinsed and drained (see note)
- 2 cups (290 g) frozen shelled edamame
- 1 cup (120 g) green beans, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) molasses
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sour cream
- Cilantro leaves, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, soften the onions and garlic in the oil. Add the bell peppers and chili powder. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring often. Add water, as needed, if the chilli is too thick.
- Serve with the sour cream and garnish with cilantro.
Beans cooked without salt added can be easily found in the canned vegetable section of your grocery store.