Savoury Carrot and Feta Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups (225 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) plain 2% yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (220 g) carrots, grated
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups (150 g) light Gouda cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (50 g) store-bought pickled jalapeños, drained and chopped (see note)
- 1/4 cup (10 g) chives, finely chopped
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour two 9-cup muffin tins.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt and oil. Add the dry ingredients and combine with a wooden spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and stir just until the flour is moistened. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups using about ¼ cup (60 ml) of the mixture per muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before unmoulding. Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- Serve for brunch or for lunch with a side salad.
These muffins are quite spicy. For a milder version, reduce the amount of pickled jalapeños.