Chicken Lasagna with Celeriac Béchamel
- 6 tbsp (85 g) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (40 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups (660 g) celeriac, peeled and diced
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken broth
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2.2 lb (1 kg) ground chicken
- 1/4 cup (55 g) butter
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) white wine
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (70 g) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups (200 g) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 12 to 15 lasagna noodles (see note)
- In a bowl, combine ¼ cup (55 g) of the butter with the flour. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, soften the onion and garlic in the remaining butter. Add the celeriac, milk and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the celeriac is tender. Add the butter-flour mixture and whisk to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- In a blender, purée the béchamel until smooth. Keep warm.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a food processor, finely chop the carrots, celery and leek.
- In another pot over medium-high heat, cook the chicken in the butter, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Add the wine and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the béchamel sauce and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the lasagne noodles until al dente. Drain and lightly oil.
- In a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish, spread out 2 cups (500 ml) of the chicken sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of mozzarella. Cover with a layer of noodles. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, finishing with the remaining sauce and mozzarella. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown. Finish cooking under the broiler for 3 minutes, if desired. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
In order to get 4 layers of noodles, you will need between 12 and 15 lasagna noodles, depending on the brand you use and the size of your baking dish.