- 1 lb (450 g) ground pork
- 1 lb (450 g) ground chicken (see note)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 jar Traditional Stew cooking sauce
- 6 tbsp (80 g) butter
- 6 tbsp (60 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (55 g) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 12 lasagna noodles (see note)
- 2 1/2 cups (250 g) mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a pot over high heat, brown the ground pork and chicken in the butter while breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Add the sauce and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in another pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring with a whisk. Add the milk and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Let simmer for 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Off the heat, add the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cover the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish with 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the meat sauce. Cover with a layer of noodles and 2 cups (500 ml) of the meat sauce. Cover with another layer of noodles and half of the béchamel. Repeat layering in the remaining ingredients, finishing off with the béchamel. Top with the mozzarella.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
You can omit the ground chicken and use 2 lb (900 g) of ground pork.
It is important to use dry lasagna noodles that are labeled “precooked and ready to use” (or “oven-ready”, depending on the manufacturer). You can also use fresh lasagna noodles. In both cases, do not boil the pasta in water before using.