- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (105 g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (25 g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla
- 1/4 cup (40 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (40 g) 64% chocolate pistoles, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp roasted pecans, chopped, plus more for garnish
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place four 3/4-cup (180 ml) ramekins on a baking sheet (see note). Do not butter the ramekins.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. With the machine running, gradually add the brown sugar and whisk until firm peaks form. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla and whisk for 1 minute. Fold the flour in with a spatula. Add the chocolate and pecans. Divide the batter between the ramekins. Garnish with more chocolate pistoles and pecans, to taste.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the outside of the brownies is set but the centre is still runny. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
These brownies can also be cooked one at a time in the microwave oven on high for about 20 seconds. You will still need to let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.