Rice and Bean Bowl with Chicken, Plantains and Pikliz
- 2 cups (170 g) green cabbage, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 2 green onions, cut into a fine julienne
- 1 carrot, cut into a fine julienne
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small Scotch Bonnet chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (210 g) long grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lime juice
- 2 ripe plantains, cut diagonally into slices 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick (see note)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (450 g) chicken cutlets
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup (15 g) cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Let marinate while you prepare the next steps.
- In a pot over medium heat, soften the onion in the oil. Add the beans and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the rice, clove and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Remove the clove and the sprig of thyme. Remove from the heat, cover and let sit.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the plantains on both sides in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Sprinkle the chicken cutlets with the paprika. Season with salt and pepper. In the same skillet over high heat, brown the chicken for 2 minutes on each side in the remaining oil. On a work surface, thinly slice the chicken.
- Divide the rice among four bowls. Top with the pikliz, plantains, chicken, cilantro and lime mayonnaise. Serve with lime wedges.
You can replace the plantains with regular bananas that are still slightly green.