Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) red wine
- ½ lb (225 g) white or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 ½ cups (150 g) textured vegetable protein (TVP) (see note)
- 2 cans (28 oz/796 ml each) diced plum tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable or mushroom broth
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground pickling spice
- 1 ½ tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the garlic in the oil until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, celery and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Let reduce by half.
- Add the mushrooms and vegetable protein. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Add the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium low heat for 2 hours, stirring regularly. Remove the bay leaf. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the sauce with cooked spaghetti or another pasta of your choice. Sprinkle with our vegan Parmesan (see recipe) and drizzle with olive oil, if desired.
TVP is a soy-based protein. It is available in most health food stores and in certain supermarkets.