Spicy Braised Chicken (Chilate de Pollo)
- 1 bag (3 oz/85 g) dried guajillo chili peppers, seeded (see note)
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 skinless whole chicken legs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- In a large skillet, bring the chilies and broth to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until the chilies are tender.
- In a blender, purée the chili broth with the tomato, onions, garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken on both sides in the oil. Add the puréed sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour or until the chicken easily comes away from the bone.
- Cover with the sauce and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve the chicken with spiced Mexican rice and black beans, if desired.
When seeding chilies, even dried varieties, wear gloves to protect your hands.