- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk
- Icing sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the vanilla.
- At low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to high temperature.
- With two teaspoons, shape about 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of dough into a ball. Drop into the hot oil. Fry a few doughnuts at a time until golden brown on both sides. The peculiarity of this recipe is that the donuts turn themselves halfway through cooking. Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with icing sugar.
These doughnut are delicious and surprising. Carefully bring your children close to the fryer. They will be surprised to see the donuts turn themselves when they are cooked on one side. This is a family recipe from Jacynthe René (actress).