Reduced-Sugar Chocolate Cake
- ½ cup (75 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (65 g) ground almonds
- ¼ cup (25 g) cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (105 g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) buttermilk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup
- 3 oz (85 g) 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter the sides of an 8-inch (20 cm) springform pan with removable bottom. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk. Spread the batter out in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Unmould.
- In a small pot, bring the water and maple syrup to a boil. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk until shiny and smooth. Add the butter. Let cool until slightly thickened
- Cover the cake with the icing.
This cake freezes well without the icing.