Cold Avocado-Fennel Soup with Nordic Shrimp Salad
- ¾ fennel bulb, cored and chopped
- 1 ¾ cups (430 ml) cold water
- 2 large ripe avocados, cubed
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups (205 g) frozen Nordic shrimp, thawed and patted dry
- ½ cup (75 g) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ¼ fennel bulb, cored and cut into small dice
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- Fennel fronds, for serving (optional)
- In a blender, coarsely purée the fennel with 1 cup (250 ml) of the water. Add the avocados and lemon juice. Purée until smooth. Gradually add the remaining water until the consistency of a thick creamed soup. Add more water as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the fennel fronds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup in small bowls, glasses or cups (see note). Garnish with the shrimp salad and fennel fronds.
To maximize the refreshing qualities of this soup, keep your serving bowls, glasses or cups refrigerated until ready to serve.