- In a bowl, combine both flours with the salt. Add the eggs, 1 cup (250 ml) of the sparkling water and the melted butter. Whisk well until smooth. Add the remaining sparkling water and the maple syrup.
- Heat a 7-inch (18 cm) non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, brush it with butter.
- For each crepe, pour about ¼ cup (60 ml) of the batter in the centre of the skillet. Tilt the skillet from side to side to spread the batter evenly to cover the bottom of the skillet. Once the edge of the crepe easily comes away from the skillet and starts to brown, after about 1 minute, flip the crepe over using a spatula. Cook for another 30 seconds and remove from the skillet. Set aside on a plate.
Caramelized Apples (optional)
- In another large skillet over high heat, brown half of the apple slices at a time on both sides in the maple syrup and butter.
- Serve the crepes with the caramelized apples or berries. Add more maple syrup, if desired.
Bubbles will form on the surface of the crepes if the skillet is properly preheated. If the heat is too low, the bubbles will not form. These crepes do not need baking powder as the sparkling water does the job.