Fresh Pasta Dough
- 1 ½ cups (225 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
- Place the flour and salt on a work surface or in a bowl. Form a well at the centre.
- Pour the egg yolks, whole egg, oil and water into the well. Using a fork, lightly beat the eggs and liquid while gradually incorporating the flour. Once the dough becomes too thick to work with the fork, use your fingertips, then your hands.
- Do not use more flour than necessary. There may be a few extra tablespoons leftover, or you may need to add a bit of flour, depending on the moisture content of the flour and the size of the eggs.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes. At this point the dough will become smooth and should no longer be sticky. If it is sticky, add a small amount of flour and continue to knead.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before using.
You can prepare this recipe in a food processor. To do so, place the flour and salt in the food processor. Add the egg yolks, whole egg, oil and water. Blend for 30 seconds. The dough should not come together in a ball and will be lumpy. If the dough does form into a sticky ball, add 1 tbsp of flour at a time until lumpy. If the dough is too dry, add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of water or more, as needed. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and bring together into a ball. Knead with your hands for 1 minute or until smooth. Continue with the recipe at step 5.