Venison Steak with Great Hunter Sauce
- 15 MIN
- 30 MIN
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 cups (1 litre) game stock
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) 35% or 15% cooking cream
- 6 venison steaks, 6 oz (175g) each
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
1. In a saucepan, brown the vegetables in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the red wine and reduce by half. Add the bay leaf, thyme and game stock. Reduce by three quarters, until 250 ml (1 cup) of liquid remains. Strain. Season with pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.
2. In a bowl, combine the butter and flour. Add to the sauce and cook, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens slightly. Add the jelly and cream. Cook for 2 minutes and adjust the seasoning. Keep warm.
3. In a skillet, sear the steaks in the oil and butter until the desired doneness. Cut the meat into thin slices. Drizzle with the sauce. Serve with the Roasted Garlic Mashed Broccoli or the Parsnip and Carrot Gratin and garnish with sweet potato chips.