Apple and Balsamic Turkey Roast
- 20 MIN
- 1 H 15
- 1 turkey breast roast, about 2.5 lb (1.2 kg) with the skin, tied
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) honey
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth, approximately
- 2 Cortland apples, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
2. In a large skillet, brown the roast in half the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with the vinegar. Add the honey and shallot. Coat the meat thoroughly.
3. Add the broth and roast for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the centre of the roast reads 82 °C (180 °F). Add broth during cooking, if needed. Cover and let rest for about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, brown the apples and garlic in the oil. Season with salt. Pour the apples into the pan juices.
5. Slice the roast and drizzle with the pan juices and apples. Serve with wilted spinach or steamed bok choy.