Christmas Spice Pork Roast
- 20 MIN
- 1 H
- 1 boneless roast pork loin, about 2 lb (1 kg)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) cold water
- Salt and pepper
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
2. In an ovenproof skillet, brown pork roast in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add cloves and cinnamon. Cook for about 5 minutes, turning roast in rendered fat.
3. Roast for about 45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the centre of the roast reads 57 °C (135 °F). Place roast on a plate, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes. The temperature should rise to 63 °C (145 °F).
4. In the same skillet, add honey and caramelize with spices. Add broth and ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce by half. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce while whisking. Simmer for 1 minute. Adjust seasoning.
5. Slice pork and drizzle with sauce. Delicious with mashed potatoes and Roasted Carrots with Dried Fruit (see recipe).
Roasted carrots with dried fruit can be roasted in the oven, alongside the pork roast. As they take a few more minutes to cook than meat, let them cook while the meat rests. Everything should be ready at the same time.