Meatball and Potato Stew
- 45 MIN
- 3 H
- 9 lb (4 kg) pork hocks (shanks)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 cloves
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) peppercorns, crushed
- 16 cups (4 litres) cold water (approximately)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 1 lb (454 g) lean ground pork
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) lenghts
- 4 cups (1 litre) peeled potatoes cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) cooking juices from hocks
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups (500 ml) hock meat
- Salt and pepper
1. Place all ingredients in a large pot. Cover with water
and bring to a boil. Season with salt. Skim, then simmer
gently until the meat is tender and falls easily from the bone, about 2 hours. Strain, reserving the cooking liquid. Debone the hocks and set the meat aside. You should have about 1 litre (4 cups) of meat. Set aside and refri-gerate 250 ml (1 cup) of the cooking liquid and 500 ml
(2 cups) of the meat for use in Tagliatelle with Pigs’ Feet.
2. In a cast-iron or other skillet over medium heat, brown the flour, stirring constantly until caramel-coloured. Press the flour through a sieve and set aside on a plate.
3. In a bowl, combine the ground pork, cinnamon, cloves, egg and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into 2.5-cm (1-inch) balls. Dredge in the toasted flour.
4. In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the meatballs in the oil. Add the onion and garlic and continue cooking for 3 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes and remaining flour. Combine thoroughly. Deglaze with the Worcestershire sauce and cooking juices from the hocks. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Add the shank meat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.