Oysters with Fresh Lime
- 24 fresh oysters
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lime juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) very cold unsalted butter, diced
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Green peppercorns, crushed
- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the broiler.
- Shuck the oysters and remove the shellfish from their shells. Keep refrigerated with their juice. Clean the shells and place on a baking sheet. Drain the oysters. Place one on each shell. Set aside.
- Strain the oyster liquid through a fine sieve into a saucepan with the lime juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce until almost dry. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the diced butter, one at a time.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Pour 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of the seasoned butter on each oyster. Sprinkle with the grated lime zest and pepper.
- Brown the oysters under the broiler for a few minutes.
- Serve as an appetizer or as a starter.