- In a pot of lightly salted cold water (about 2 1/8 cups), place the chicken, onion, green part of the leek and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour, taking care to skim off the fat.
- Remove the chicken from the broth. Allow to cool. Strain the broth through a sieve. Return to the pot.
- Remove the meat from the chicken and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- Add the rice, carrots, celery and the remaining leek to the broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir occasionally. Add the chicken.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until they become slightly foamy.
- While whisking, gradually add the lemon juice and 250 ml (1 cup) of hot broth to temper the egg mixture.
- Gently pour the egg mixture into the soup, stirring continuously. Reheat the soup over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Do not boil the soup again, this would coagulate the eggs.
- If desired, garnish with a fresh herb.