- In a bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the syrup, 10% cream and egg yolks over medium heat, stirring until the candy thermometer reads 80 °C (175 °F), about 5 minutes. Add the gelatin and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate, stirring occasionally until the mixture begins to set, about 40 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites with the sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites and whipped cream into the maple mixture.
- Pour into pretty dessert bowls and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with a touch of whipped cream and a nice piece of maple sugar.
If you do not want to buy two types of cream, this delicious mousse can also be prepared with all 35% cream.