- 3/4 cup (180 ml) quick cooking rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) wheat germ
- 1 3/4 cups (430 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 ml) dried apricots, diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) buttermilk
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F). Line 12 muffin tins with paper cups or oil thoroughly.
- In a food processor, grind the rolled oats into powder. Place into a large bowl with all the dry ingredients and apricots.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil, buttermilk, and applesauce with a whisk. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir gently with a spatula until the flour is just moistened.
- Spoon the batter into the cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Unmould and cool on rack.
You can substitute 125 ml (1/2 cup) of the flour for 125 ml (1/2 cup) of ground flaxseed.
Change the flavour!
Substitute the apricots for dried cranberries, raisins, dried cherries, or mixed dried fruit.