- In a saucepan, off the heat, combine cornstarch, juice, maple syrup and cream with a whisk. Add apples and bring to a boil. Pour into an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish or an 8-cup (2 litre) soufflé dish.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg and beat until smooth. At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with apple juice. With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop batter over hot syrup.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.