- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 11 x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) baking dish.
- In the baking dish, combine the brown sugar and melted butter. Spread out evenly.
- Arrange the pineapple slices over the sugar mixture in an even layer, cutting them to fit, as needed. Place a cherry at the centre of each pineapple slice.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk the butter and eggs. Gradually add the sugar while whisking until smooth. Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk. Spread over the pineapple slices.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes. Pass a thin blade between the side of the baking dish and the cake. Turn the cake over onto a serving dish while still hot. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.