- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown the chicken in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, sauté the peppers, onion, Bayonne ham, garlic and thyme over high heat, about 5 minutes. Add oil, if needed. Add the Espelette pepper and cook for about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and reduce for 4 to 5 minutes or until it thickens. Place the chicken pieces, skin side up, in the sauce.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked throughout. Remove the thyme sprigs. Adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with plain or saffron rice.