- Cut an remove the cap of the squash and scoop the seeds. If necessary, remove a bit of flesh with a melon baller until the squash has a 750 ml (3 cup) capacity. Transfer to a baking dish.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- In a bowl, soak the bread in the milk and cream. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, soften the carrots, leek, onion and garlic in the butter. Add the zucchini and cook for 3 minutes. Add the pork and cook, stirring, until meat is fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside in a bowl and let cool.
- Fold in the bread, chicken, coriander and herbs to the meat mixture. Adjust the seasoning.
- Scoop the stuffing into the squash and cover with the cap. Bake for approximately 1 hour 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the centre of the stuffing reads 72 °C (162 °F).
The Interpretive Squash Centre, 839, rue Principale Saint-Joseph-du-Lac, 450 623-4894. www.courge.quebec.com
Free admission. Picking and selling 80 varieties of squash and pumpkins. Tasting on site, food products made from squash. Open from mid-August until mid-December.