Chicken and Pork Stuffed Squash (A meal in a squash)
- 1 squash 1.7 kg to 2 kg (see note) Buttercup, Pumpkin or Red Curry
- 1 cup (250 ml) cubed stale bread
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) 35% cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) carrots, diced into 1/2 cm (1/8 in) cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) leek (white) cut into 1/2 cm (1/8 in) dice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) grated green zucchini
- 3/4 lb (375g) minced pork
- 1/2 lb (225g) skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7.5 ml) ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh basil
- 30 ml (2 tablespons) chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Cut an remove the cap of the squash and scoop the seeds. If necessary, remove a bit of flesh with a melon baller until the squash has a 750 ml (3 cup) capacity. Transfer to a baking dish.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- In a bowl, soak the bread in the milk and cream. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, soften the carrots, leek, onion and garlic in the butter. Add the zucchini and cook for 3 minutes. Add the pork and cook, stirring, until meat is fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside in a bowl and let cool.
- Fold in the bread, chicken, coriander and herbs to the meat mixture. Adjust the seasoning.
- Scoop the stuffing into the squash and cover with the cap. Bake for approximately 1 hour 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the centre of the stuffing reads 72 °C (162 °F).
The Interpretive Squash Centre, 839, rue Principale Saint-Joseph-du-Lac, 450 623-4894. www.courge.quebec.com
Free admission. Picking and selling 80 varieties of squash and pumpkins. Tasting on site, food products made from squash. Open from mid-August until mid-December.