- Place the beans in a large bowl. Add lukewarm water to cover and soak overnight at room temperature. Add water as needed to ensure beans remain covered. Rinse and drain.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 120°C (250°F).
- Combine all ingredients in a large (about 4.5-litre/18-cup) ovenproof Dutch oven or bean pot. Season with pepper.
- Add enough cold water to cover the beans by 5 cm (2 inches). Bring to a boil.
- Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring hourly, until the beans are tender, about 7 hours. Add water as needed during cooking.