- 1 cup (250 ml) semi-salted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C (325 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, using a fork. Shape into a ball.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out onto a floured surface. Cut with a 6-cm (2 ¼-inch) round or pattern cookie cutter. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the highest position of the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Right out of the oven, sprinkle with sugar. Cool on a wire rack.
Santa Claus can’t resist these cookies placed by the tree. Serve with a tall glass of milk!