- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Add the fruit and stir to blend. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Divide the mixture into six 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) capacity ramekins or in a 2-litre (8 cup) soufflé dish.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until smooth. At low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk and vanilla.
- Spread the batter over the fruit and place the ramekins on a baking sheet. This will be used to contain the fruit, should it overflow. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. (Cooking time for a 2 litres (8 cup) soufflé dish is approximately 1 hour).
If you don’t have fresh fruit, use frozen fruit.