- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the noodles until al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water and oil lightly. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to medium.
- Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Peel and cut into 1-inch (2 cm) thick slices.
- In a bowl, toss the pumpkin slices with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the pumpkin for 7 minutes per side or until tender. Cut into cubes and set aside (see note).
- In a skillet, soften the garlic, onion, pepper and thyme in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and herbs. Simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Remove the thyme sprig. Set the sauce aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the pancetta in the butter for a few minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the squash cubes and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spread half the tomato sauce in a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish. Cover with a layer of noodles. Add a third of the béchamel sauce and 1 cup (100 g) of mozzarella cheese. Cover with another layer of pasta, the remaining tomato sauce and the feta cheese. Add another layer of noodles, then a third of the béchamel and 1 cup (100 g) of mozzarella cheese. Finish with the remaining noodles, béchamel and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then brown under the broiler for 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
The pumpkin can also be cooked in the oven. Cube the peeled pumpkin, toss with the olive oil, place on a non-stick baking sheet and cook in an oven preheated to 425°F (220°C) for 15 to 20 minutes.