Cold Mussels on a Half Shell
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine
- 1 lb (454 g) mussels, cleaned
- 1/2 orange, cut into skinless segments and finely diced, with the juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cucumber, cut into brunoise (finely diced)
- 1/2 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into brunoise
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, soften the shallots in half the oil. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the mussels. Cover and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until they have opened, about 5 minutes. Drain and keep the cooking liquid for another use (see note). Discard any closed mussels.
- Remove the mussels from their shells and place in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Clean about 24 half-shells and garnish with the mussel salad. Place in a serving dish.
Use the cooking juices for a spaghetti, risotto or seafood soup.