Pumpkin Crème Brulée
- 6 4 1/2-inch (12-cm) in diameter mini pumpkins
- 1 3/4 cups (430 ml) 35% cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cooked pumpkin purée(homemade or canned)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Sugar to caramelize
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F).
- With a knife, remove the pumpkin caps. With a melon baller, remove the seeds by scraping until the inner surface is smooth. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream and half of the sugar to a boil.
- In a bowl, combine the pumpkin purée, remaining sugar, egg yolks and spices. Whisk in the hot cream. Strain and pour into the pumpkins.
- Bake in a bain-marie. To do this, place the pumpkin in a baking dish, place in the oven and pour hot water halfway up the pumpkins. Bake for about 55 minutes or until custard is barely firm. The water should not boil, it should barely simmer.
- Cool. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. Sprinkle with sugar and caramelize quickly using a welding torch or a small gas burner designed for kitchen use.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe also works in 125 ml (1/2 cup) capacity ramekins. Simply reduce the baking time to about 35 to 40 minutes.