Traditional Poor Man’s Pudding
- 15 MIN
- 35 MIN
- Line a large platter with plastic wrap.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and beat until mixture is smooth. Add the milk and vanilla, then beat until smooth. Stir in the dry ingredients without overworking the batter.
- Pour the batter into the dish and spread to form an 18-cm (7-inch) in diameter disk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In a 20-cm (8-inch) in diameter and 9-cm (3.5-inch) deep soufflé dish, combine the brown sugar, water and cream. Remove the dough from the plate with the plastic wrap and gently lay on the syrup. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Why put the first batter in a dish in the refrigerator? It is an effective way to ensuring that, once cooked, it is a smooth golden brown and has no cracks in the crust.