- In a saucepan, soften the garlic in the oil. Add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 10 minutes. Add the basil. Adjust the seasoning. Keep warm.
- In a food processor, purée the beans and egg until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and add the tuna, 125 ml (1/2 cup) of breadcrumbs and the chives. Stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Shape the tuna mixture into 12 patties with about 60 ml (1/4 cup) each. Coat with the breadcrumbs.
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown the patties in the oil for about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with the marinara sauce and a green vegetable.
Variation You can also serve the croquettes with tartar sauce. Freezes well.