- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, icing sugar, and salt.
- In a large clean bowl, with no trace of fat, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the granulated sugar, beating until stiff but still pliable peaks form.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the meringue, gently incorporating as you add it, folding with a whisk or spatula.
- Pour into a 25-cm (10-inch) non-greased angel food cake pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed with your fingers.
- Immediately place the cake pan upside down on the neck of a bottle and let the cake cool for about 3 hours or until completely cooled. Run a thin knife blade around the edge of the cake pan and then unmould.
- Just before serving, whip the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Cover the top of the cake and sprinkle with coconut.
If you do not have pastry flour, use 280 ml (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) of unbleached all-purpose flour.