- 2 unpeeled English cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) coarse salt
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) white vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) turmeric
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) coriander seeds
- In a bowl, combine the cucumber slices with the salt. Cover with water. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 8 hours. Rinse the cucumber slices under cold water. Drain. Spoon into sterilized jars.
- In a saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the cucumbers.
- Keep the jars in the refrigerator or sterilized in boiling water for 15 minutes to store the jars for up to 1 year in a cool, dry place.
You can cut the cucumbers into thinner or thicker slices, as desired. My wife and my mother-in-law prefer the thicker slices, while I love them very thin, to garnish sandwiches or burgers. To each his own!