- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) boiling water
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) assorted skinless bone-in chicken pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (300 g) carrots cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 cups (360 g) turnips peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 preserved lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- ½ cup (70 g) oil-packed black olives, pitted and drained
- ¼ cup (35 g) raisins
- Cilantro, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, combine the water and saffron. Let steep. In a large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven, brown the chicken on both sides in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate. Keep the oil in the skillet.
- In the same skillet, lightly brown the vegetables. Add the spices, lemons, olives and raisins and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the saffron infusion. Season with salt and pepper (see note).
- Place the chicken over the vegetables and bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for about 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and falls off the bone. If desired, use a tajine dish for baking.
- Serve over couscous and garnish with cilantro.
Because preserved lemon and olives are salty, season lightly.