Vanilla Tapioca Pudding
- With a sharp knife, split the vanilla bean in half to open it. Remove the seeds.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk with 60 ml (1/4 cup) of sugar and the vanilla seeds and pod. Sprinkle in the tapioca and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Simmer very gently for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the tapioca pearls are translucent. Remove the vanilla pod.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the egg yolks with the remaining sugar. Stir 250 ml (1 cup) of the hot mixture into the egg mixture to temper it. Pour back into the tapioca pudding and cook gently, stirring until it thickens, from 4 to 5 minutes. If using vanilla extract, that's when you need to add it.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover the surface of the tapioca with plastic wrap. Let cool, then refrigerate for about 1 hour or until the tapioca is at room temperature.
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Divide among six glasses and top with cooled tapioca. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.