- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) Granny Smith or Cortland apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin strips (about 8 apples)
- 1 cup (250 ml) apple juice
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) raisins
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- In a large saucepan, combine the apple juice, lemon zest, and juice. Add the apples as you cut them. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Let stand for 30 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring frequently and gently until the apples are translucent and the mixture is syrupy.
- Pour into sterilized jars. Keeps in the refrigerator for about 1 month or freeze.
Serve with foie gras, grilled pork or chicken or just with croissants or toast.