Slow-Cooked Beef with Red Wine
- 8 small new potatoes (or 4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved)
- 4 carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 3 1/2 lb (1.5 kg) boneless beef blade roast, cut into 1.5-inch (4-cm) cubes
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) red wine
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) canned diced tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes and carrots in the slow cooker. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meat in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, brown the onions and garlic. Add oil if necessary. Dust with flour and cook for 1 more minute. Add the wine and bring to a boil while stirring. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and add the broth, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and cook until the meat is fork tender, about 6 hours with the cooker set to high or 8 hours with the cooker set to low. Remove the thyme. Adjust the seasoning.
You can also cook this dish in an oven preheated to 150°C (275°F). Cook for 4 to 5 hours.