Ethné de Vienne’s Indonesian-Style Fried Rice
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) cold cooked rice
- 1 large carr
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chopped cabbage
- 1 Hungarian pepper
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) peanut oil
- White pepper
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) Ketjap
- 1 tomato, diced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 large shallot
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sambal
- 4 fried eggs
- Crispy fried garlic
- Crispy fried onion
- Green onions, finely chopped
- Place the rice in a bowl and separate it with wet hands.
- Wash and slice the vegetables into 1-cm squares.
- Finely chop the bumbu ingredients. A food processor does the job nicely.
- Heat a wok for 1 or 2 minutes. Add the oil when the wok is very hot.
- Add the bumbu and cook, stirring constantly, until well caramelized and fragrant (2 minutes).
- Add the carrot and cook for 1 minute. Continue with the cabbage and pepper and lastly, the onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. When the rice is heated through (2 minutes), add the Ketjap and tomato. Stir to combine.
- Spoon onto 4 plates. Garnish with a fried egg, fried garlic and onion and green onions.