- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the apple juice.
- In a saucepan over high heat, melt the butter. Add the apples and cook for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the cornstarch and apple juice mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, vanilla and egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Using a wooden spoon, add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Using a whisk or spatula, gently fold in the egg whites, and then add the butter.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Pour about ½ cup (125 ml) batter, or according to the manufacturer’s instructions, onto the waffle iron, close, and cook for 5 minutes or until the waffles are golden brown. Keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the waffles with cinnamon applesauce.